Wall Street Wizardry
  • Business
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Investing
  • Business
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Investing

Wall Street Wizardry

World News

DRC president commutes death sentences for 3 Americans convicted in coup attempt

by admin April 3, 2025
April 3, 2025
DRC president commutes death sentences for 3 Americans convicted in coup attempt

The president of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has commuted the death sentences of three Americans convicted of attempting a coup to life imprisonment, days before US government officials are due to visit the central African country.

The Americans, Marcel Malanga, Tyler Thompson Jr., and Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun were among 37 people handed death sentences by a military court in September following last year’s failed coup attempt led by Malanga’s father, Christian.

The putschists had targeted the country’s presidential palace and the residence of Congolese politician Vital Kamerhe in an attempt to overthrow the government in May 2024.

At least six people, including Christian Malanga, an opposition politician who livestreamed the coup attempt, were killed in a gun battle with presidential guards.

Salama said the clemency decision was not made to placate the US, with whom the DRC has sought a minerals-for-security partnership. It comes as war rages in the country’s resource-rich eastern region between government forces and a Rwanda-backed rebel group.

“We have no deal with the Americans at this stage on any American intervention,” Salama said.

The new US Senior Adviser for Africa Massad Boulos and Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Corina Sanders will travel to the DRC Thursday, the State Department announced this week.

The officials aim to ”advance efforts for durable peace in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo and to promote US private sector investment in the region,” it noted. They also plan to visit neighboring Rwanda, Uganda and Kenya.

This post appeared first on cnn.com

previous post
UK police fear serial rapist may have had more than 50 other victims as more women come forward
next post
Myanmar’s military government announces temporary ceasefire to aid quake efforts

Related Posts

US teen influencer detained in Antarctica while attempting...

July 3, 2025

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex shares rare photos of...

June 4, 2025

China is more in love with its pandas...

January 27, 2025

Mexican authorities discover 20 bodies, some decapitated, on...

July 1, 2025

Israeli former hostage recounts hearing, on his release,...

March 1, 2025

Russia has regained control of Kursk border region...

April 26, 2025

This family of ten trekked from Venezuela in...

February 3, 2025

Putin makes surprise visit to Kursk as Trump...

March 13, 2025

Energy is the ‘number one problem’ for Africa’s...

May 6, 2025

Construction tycoon among 17 wanted in Thailand over...

May 16, 2025

    Join our mailing list to get access to special deals, promotions, and insider information. Your exclusive benefits await! Enjoy personalized recommendations, first dibs on sales, and members-only content that makes you feel like a true VIP. Sign up now and start saving!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Editors’ Picks

    • 1

      Universal’s ‘Wicked: For Good’ creates a unique marketing challenge

      January 26, 2025
    • 2

      Financial Agreement signed releasing $2M grant

      January 23, 2025
    • 3

      Netflix shares soar as company reports surging revenue, tops 300 million subscribers

      January 23, 2025
    • 4

      Cyclopharm Signs US Agreement with HCA Healthcare for Technegas®

      January 23, 2025
    • 5

      Trump re-designates Iranian-backed Houthis as terrorists: ‘Threaten[s] security of American civilians’

      January 23, 2025
    • 6

      US security contractor will take charge of key checkpoint in Gaza as Israeli forces withdraw

      January 25, 2025
    • 7

      FDA officially authorizes Zyn nicotine pouches for sale following health review

      January 23, 2025
    • About us
    • Contacts
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Email Whitelisting

    Disclaimer: wallstreetwizardry.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 wallstreetwizardry.com | All Rights Reserved