Wall Street Wizardry
  • Business
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Investing
  • Business
  • World News
  • Politics
  • Investing

Wall Street Wizardry

World News

Convicted Italian cardinal pulls out of conclave to choose new pope

by admin April 29, 2025
April 29, 2025
Convicted Italian cardinal pulls out of conclave to choose new pope

A cardinal convicted of financial crimes by the Vatican said Tuesday he will not take part in the secret conclave to elect the new pope.

Cardinal Giovanni Angelo Becciu, once one of the most powerful figures in the Vatican, was ordered by Pope Francis in 2020 to resign the “rights and privileges” of a cardinal after he became embroiled in a Vatican financial scandal.

Following the pope’s death last week, Becciu launched an appeal in support of his right to be in the conclave, but on Tuesday, he issued a statement announcing he was formally pulling out. “I have decided to obey, as I have always done, Pope Francis’ will not to enter the Conclave while remaining convinced of my innocence,” he said.

Cardinals have chosen May 7 as the date to start conclave and elect a new leader for 1.4 billion Catholics around the world, the Vatican announced Monday.

Becciu’s decision to withdraw from the conclave comes just seven days after he told a Sardinian newspaper that “there was no explicit will to exclude me from the conclave nor a request for my explicit renunciation in writing.”

The Sardinian cardinal previously held the position of “sostituto” (“substitute”) in the Holy See’s Secretariat of State – a papal chief of staff equivalent. The role offered Becciu walk-in privileges to see the pope and he commanded huge authority across the church’s central government. He was later moved to a position running the Vatican’s saint-making department.

Becciu was convicted of embezzlement and fraud in 2023 and handed a five-and-a-half-year jail sentence. He is the first cardinal to be convicted by the Vatican’s criminal court.

But the cardinal, who has always maintained his innocence, launched an appeal that’s currently still under consideration. He’s allowed to continue to live in a Vatican apartment while this process is underway.

This post appeared first on cnn.com

previous post
‘Mushroom murder’ trial begins for woman accused of killing lunch guests in Australia
next post
JetBlue to partner with another U.S. airline in the coming weeks

Related Posts

‘I fell on the floor and screamed’: Families...

February 10, 2025

Erick strengthens into a Category 3 major hurricane...

June 19, 2025

Divided by a border, united by fear: Kashmiris...

May 14, 2025

China rejects Trump’s claim that Xi has called...

April 28, 2025

Ireland finally appoints new prime minister after chaos...

January 24, 2025

Suicidal tendencies and ’80s battlefield tactics: How North...

January 28, 2025

Lesotho insulted after Trump says nobody has heard...

March 6, 2025

China-appointed Panchen Lama vows to make religion more...

June 6, 2025

Canada police hunt for three suspects after 12...

March 8, 2025

Musk’s comments that Germany should ‘move beyond’ Nazi...

January 28, 2025

    Become a VIP member by signing up for our newsletter. Enjoy exclusive content, early access to sales, and special offers just for you! As a VIP, you'll receive personalized updates, loyalty rewards, and invitations to private events. Elevate your experience and join our exclusive community today!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Editors’ Picks

    • 1

      Universal’s ‘Wicked: For Good’ creates a unique marketing challenge

      January 26, 2025
    • 2

      Financial Agreement signed releasing $2M grant

      January 23, 2025
    • 3

      Netflix shares soar as company reports surging revenue, tops 300 million subscribers

      January 23, 2025
    • 4

      Cyclopharm Signs US Agreement with HCA Healthcare for Technegas®

      January 23, 2025
    • 5

      Trump re-designates Iranian-backed Houthis as terrorists: ‘Threaten[s] security of American civilians’

      January 23, 2025
    • 6

      US security contractor will take charge of key checkpoint in Gaza as Israeli forces withdraw

      January 25, 2025
    • 7

      FDA officially authorizes Zyn nicotine pouches for sale following health review

      January 23, 2025
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy

    Disclaimer: wallstreetwizardry.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2026 wallstreetwizardry.com | All Rights Reserved